Breaking boundaries, setting standards
Leading Prosthetist, Bob Watts, launched Dorset Orthopaedic in 1989. From the outset, Bob wanted to create the UK’s leading prosthetic and orthotic centre, comprising some of the country’s finest Prosthetists and Technicians. Bob and his team focused on the three vital elements to providing quality prosthetic and orthotic products: comfort, function and cosmetics.
Bringing a vision to life
- 1976 – Bob began his prosthetic career when he joined Hugh Steeper Limited at Roehampton on a four-year apprenticeship. During this time, he helped deliver the first myo-electric child’s prosthesis in the UK.
- 1978 – a contract with the Lebanon saw Bob visiting Beirut to provide devices to young soldiers.
- 1980 – Bob travelled to Baghdad to fit artificial limbs to soldiers and young children suffering limb-loss from the conflict with Iran.
- 1985 – Bob joined German prosthetic company Otto Bock as Prosthetic Manager for the UK.
- 1989 – Setting up Dorset Orthopaedic, the company secured a ten-year contract with the NHS to supply a prosthetic service to Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire.
- 1992 – Bob became Prosthetist to the British Paralympic team and travelled with the team to the 1992 Paralympics, Barcelona, Spain.
- 1993 – Dorset Orthopaedic launches its Silicone services – first in the UK.
- 1994 – The Limbless Association awards Bob for skill and innovation in the field of prosthetics.
- 1995 – Dorset Orthopaedic sets up as an independent prosthetic clinic at Headlands Business Park in Ringwood.
- 2001 – Dorset Orthopaedic introduces a new Orthotic service.
- 2003 – Regional visiting clinics are opened in London and Leeds.
- 2004 – Dorset Orthopaedic receives the Queen’s Award for Innovation, recognising our outstanding innovation in creating the SAFO®.
- 2009 – Dorset Orthopaedic expands into the Midlands with a new clinic led by leading Prosthetist, Mark Ledger
- 2010 – Regional visiting clinic opens in Taunton.
- 2011 – Hosts international silicone conference with guest speaker Professor Mark Waters
- 2013 – A new Composite Technology Lab is opened producing super lightweight Pre-Preg carbon composite Prostheses and Orthoses – the first in the UK.
- 2013 – Dorset Orthopaedic receives the Limbless Association best Product Innovation award for the Easyfit™.
- 2014 – Regional visiting clinic opens in Glasgow.
To find out more, please email us by clicking here or call +44 (0) 1425 481740.